I spent a good part of the last couple of weeks making many different kinds of snowflakes. I found and utilized a few other resources for kirigami patterns.
I’m just learning that there are a few different standard folds (square, spider, snowflake, etc.) that you can learn. And some instructions in the books/kits are much more complicated than others. This one sent me back to 8th grade geometry class.
Some of the cutting patterns were well laid out in the books or kits, already drawn on the paper or pattern, but in others you had to “trace,” or copy, the design onto the paper before cutting, which certainly challenged my nearly non-existing drafting skills (note to self: put “drawing” on list of creative skills to work on).
After I while I began to feel a bit tired of snowflakes, despite the fact that truly, no two were alike, and many were very pleasing to the eye. And I was letting myself enjoy the colored paper (basically the same as origami paper).
I decided that it was time to head into the realm of the 3-dimensional patterns I’d seen on some of the websites and book covers. However, when I looked at many of the photos of finished products in my books, I was really intimidated! Wondering if I would need a degree in architecture or engineering to complete some of these complicated works of art, I searched around until I found a few that I could wrap my head around by just looking at them.
I started with this net pattern, which was basically like drawing a maze on the paper before cutting. It turned out to look pretty neat, though I wished the paper was colored on both sides so that it would look just as cool from underneath as it did from above.
The next one I tried was perfect for the season – a Christmas tree ornament – and was not too difficult for me to draw before cutting. I like how when you assemble this one (re-fold it, basically), you mostly just see green.
The last one I tried was supposed to combine two of the net patterns I’d done to create a ball or globe. I must not have cut it right, or perhaps the problem came in the separated of the thin strips (not easy to do without tearing!), but it turned to look more oval than round.
I tried again, this time making sure not to pull on the shape too much to avoid elongating it, which made it somewhat rounder.
Overall, I was pleased with my very first attempts at 3-D kirigami, although some were clearly better than others.
Next week I’ll try some of the harder patterns I’ve been avoiding from the books — that require sharper scissors (which I did buy), and even exacto knives, rulers and the like … we’ll see what I can do!